Google Vault (Retention)
Google Vault is an eDiscovery tool for Gmail, Google Groups, Google Drive. Vault allows designated agency staff to retain, hold, search and export data. It is also used to enforce a retention policy. Vault can be used to support a variety of needs including:
- Archiving—Set retention rules to control how long data is retained before being removed from user accounts and deleted from Google systems. Learn about retention.
- Legal holds—Legal or litigation holds can be placed on an account by OIT. To request a hold to preserve user data in order to meet legal or other retention obligations submit a ticket to the OIT Service Desk. Learn about holds.
- Search—Search your domain's data by user account, organizational unit, date, or keyword. Learn about search.
- Export—Export data for additional processing and review. Learn about exporting.
- Audit reports— Those designated as super admins can use Vault audit reports to learn about actions Vault users have taken during a specified period of time. Learn about audits.
Recent Vault Updates
Coming Summer 2019: A new version of Google Chat will bring a new Chat room feature. Chat room histories will be retained and searchable in Vault. Click here to learn about the new version of Chat.
November 2018 - Custodian counts and saved queries improve your Vault search
Want more updates? Check out the G Suite Updates Blog and search for Vault.
Resources for Learning about Vault
Explore the resources below to learn more about working in Vault.