Google Vault and Email Retention
Google Vault is an eDiscovery tool for Gmail, Google Groups, Google Drive. Vault allows designated agency staff to retain, hold, search and export data. It is also used to enforce an email retention policy. Vault can be used to support a variety of needs including:
- Archiving—Set retention rules to control how long data is retained before being removed from user accounts and deleted from Google systems. Learn about retention.
- Legal holds—Legal or litigation holds can be placed on an account by OIT. To request a hold to preserve user data in order to meet legal or other retention obligations submit a ticket to the OIT Service Desk. Learn about holds.
- Search—Search your domain's data by user account, organizational unit, date, or keyword. Learn about search.
- Export—Export data for additional processing and review. Learn about exporting.
- Audit reports— Those designated as super admins can use Vault audit reports to learn about actions Vault users have taken during a specified period of time. Learn about audits.
Learning about Vault and Email Retention
Using the DONOTDELETE Label
This video goes over how to use the DONOTDELETE label to help preserve business critical emails.